This 18th-century building stands in the town of El Escorial. It was built between 1771 and 1775 to a design by Juan de Villanueva, one of the most important architects of the Spanish neoclassical school. It was declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1931.
It is surrounded by two gardens, one at the front and another at the rear, connected by a pair of gateways of Tuscan columns. The tastes in palatial design of the era may be seen in its fountains, lakes, waterfalls, promenades and boxwood hedges. It also features a large area of surrounding parkland wooded with local species such as oak and holm oak, imported varieties including sequoia and Spanish fir, and typical garden trees.